Publishing Internships – An Overview
Publishing is the art of preparation, production and issuing of books, journals, music, and other material for sale. It is a process by which information can be made available to the masses. Publishing deals not only with the printing of books but also involves electronic media including blogs, e-book, websites etc. Leading universities all over the world offer degrees in publishing, providing solid foundation in dissemination of books, magazine and interactive media. Whether you are working towards your degree or not, publishing internships offer great benefits.
Benefits of Publishing Internships
Publishing internships give students a chance to meet well-known writers and experts in the publishing industry. Publishing interns will develop strong communication skills, work ethic and multitasking abilities. These internships provide exposure to publishing industry, which will help you learn the ins and outs of the business.
The publishing industry is not what is used to be, so openings may be much more limited than they were in the past. Being able to land a publishing internship with one of the top publishers that are listed below will help you get your foot in the door. This will surely boost your resume and help pave your career path.
Listing of Publishing Internships
- Random House, based in New York, is a global leader in printing, audio and digital formats. It holds the vision of connecting writers with readers and readers with the world. The company offers summer publishing internships to qualified students.
- John Wiley & Sons occupies the second position on the list of ‘Best Publishing Companies to Work For’. It is the largest publisher of professional and scholarly societies. The company was founded in 1807 and is headquartered in New York. It offers 10-week paid summer publishing internships program from May to August and other internships throughout the year to students who desire to pursue career in publishing industry.
- Penguin Group is amongst the Big Four giants of publishing industry. The company was founded in 1935 as Penguin Books and is based in London. It proudly owns the most admired list of bestselling and award-winning authors. For years, Penguin Group has stood for breadth, depth, and quality. Ten-week long publishing internships are offered in the spring, summer and fall sessions.
- Oxford University Press (OUP) is a worldwide famous and prestigious press. The press operates as one of the departments of University of Oxford. The history of the press dates back to 1478. Since then, it has believed in the objective of excellence in research, scholarship, and education. OUP offers 8-12 week internship programs during spring, summer and fall. The internships are paid and give a clear insight of the publishing industry. Currently, interns are required for editorial and sales. Interested students may apply through the press’s online application program.
- Hachette Book Group occupies a vital position in the publishing business. The company is a division of Hachette Livre, the second largest trade and educational publisher of the world. HBG is headquartered in New York. Paid summer publishing internships are offered to college students from June to August. In addition to this, year-round IT internships are also offered.
You may also be interested in the following internships: